Friday, June 17, 2011

Chill Out Lounge at Grand Millenium Al Wahda

I really do wish I could be a more regular blogger, but my rather busy and draining life does not allow that. Part of what keeps me busy is, ofcourse, my culinary adventures around Abu Dhabi. I don't go strictly to sample and review, but to socialize and unwind, so I end up spending a few hours at the joint and by the time I'm back, I'm too tired to record my experience straightaway.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I ventured into Abu Dhabi's largest five star hotel's pool-side lounge to catch up with my girlfriends (who I luckily meet almost every week). This was another spot chosen courtesy of a group-discount site (Gonabit). The fine print did warn us that only light snacks and drinks would be available, along with shisha, but we were only handed a drinks and shisha menu much to our disappointment as were looking forward to biting down on something more substantial - although we were primarily there for the shisha. With AED 400 to spend between the 4 of us (AED 50 vouchers worth AED 100 each), we were left to order a shisha each and some drinks. The view was spectacular as we were up on the 31st floor - the rooftop of the hotel. The decor was arabesque minimal, with lanterns and rugs dotting the space which was otherwise sparsely furnished and decorated. The area was surprisingly not air-conditioned, but there were large fans for each table. This arrangement would be ideal for someone who just stepped out of the pool to grab a drink, but it was rather too warm for someone fully clothed and in a hijab like myself. Perhaps that is the reason the lounge will go on a hiatus for the summer from end of July.



The drinks and shisha were brought promptly, but that was not surprising as we were the only ones there at 8 PM! The place started to look a little busier around 9 and a live band tried to help the ambiance, although we could've done without them as our conversation fizzled out as soon as they started playing. With one shisha each (AED 50 each), my friends opted for grape, double apple and watermelon, while I went for the ever-dependable mint. Half way through our night, we ordered an ice cream sundae (AED 40+) after spotting one on a neighboring table (it was not listed in the menu handed to us). We went for a combination of strawberry, mango and papaya. The ice creams were more like sorbets, but thankfully they didn't taste like the store bought variety. The flavors were unique and fresh. The drinks were not much to write home about, and I thought my (virgin) mojito (AED 30-40) had too much ice in it. Less than halfway through my drink, it started to taste diluted, so I could not finish the rest.

Since we were at a hotel, municipality and service charges applied to the total amount of our order, and it was a pleasant surprise to find out that our total bill added up to AED 397 inclusive of all those charges - just AED 3 short of AED 400! So we didn't have to pay anything over the voucher amounts. A very good deal if you ask me.




To wrap it up, I'd recommend the place for the view when the weather is cooler late September onwards. It's a world far away from the over-crowded, noisy cafes in the city, so if you need a shisha fix or just a place to sit or even lie back (plenty of lounge chairs) with your friends or partner, give this a try. But don't forget to ask for the snack menu.




No comments:

Post a Comment