Friday, November 14, 2008

The week that was

I think it's the season of re-visiting old favourites 'cause I spent the last week eating at places I haven't been to in a year. There's something comforting about spotting your usual order in the sea of unfamiliar items crowding the updated menu. And it's a little funny when you can't quite recall why you stopped eating there in the first place!

Duo Delight @ Pizza Hut

Anyway, I started my trip down memory lane by trying to make peace with Pizza Hut. Usually, I'm the one dissuading others from going there, but this time, I was the one to suggest we have dinner there.




Since it was just my mother and me, we opted for the 'Duo Delight' - a combo meal that included a regular salad, four garlic breads, chicken BBQ roll (not pictured), a medium pizza and two drinks. I had almost forgotten all about the sweet, tangy goodness of the creamy salad, so I was glad to be eating there that night. The garlic bread was just right, and by the time we finished the rolls, we had room for only one pizza slice each. The remaining slices were duly packed by the attentive waitress for us to take home. I had a pretty nice time at Pizza Hut and the experience sort of made me ponder over why I had been avoiding the place for so long. I guess the menu can become boring if you eat there regularly, but it's not so bad that you avoid it like the plague (like I had been doing!).
Price: AED 50 for the meal, excluding service charge
Available at: Pizza Hut outlets on Hamdan Street, Khalifa Street and Airport Road.
Worth the money? On this occasion, yes!

Dinner buffet @ Caravan




Next stop was Caravan. My friend, Sana, took us to dinner there on the occasion of passing her driving test. I don't remember the last time I ate there, but I did have their buffet a few times so I was able to recognise some of the items that had survived the test of time. There was the Chicken Cashew Stir-fry and Aloo Chaana. Besides those two, the buffet was a mix of Indian, Chinese and Thai dishes. My friends and I were so hungry after the long, meal-less day we had at university that we went straight for the main course without pausing at the salad bar. My favourite item was the Chicken Lollypop (top left of the plate in the second picture), and coming from a non-chicken eater, that's a huge compliment. I apologise for the rather messy appearance of my plate, but I had basically dumped everything on it without caring much about what went where. I loved the variety of the main courses, but the desserts were a huge disappointment. My friends and I were excited at the sight of Rasmalai, but they turned out to be a pale imitation of the real deal. They tasted like they had been sweetened using some cheap artificial sweetner. The Umm Ali and Gulab Jamun were alright, but the initial disappointment of the Rasmalai made the whole dessert experience rather bitter.
Price: AED 49 per head
Available at: Caravan Restaurant, Electra Street
Worth the money? If you fill up on the main courses.


Shish Kofta, Fried Hamour and dessert @ Golden Fork

Every time I'd pass Golden Fork, it'd be packed with people. There was a time when I would eat there often because there are two branches near my house, but for some reason they had fallen out of favour with me the last few years. I was actually headed to KFC when I decided to make a detour and find out why the place is always teeming with people. And I think I found out why. Their new menu is extensive and covers a wide variety of cuisines, and the prices are very reasonable. To top it off, they provide complementary soup and bread. My mom opted for the Fried Hamour while I went for the Shish Kofta. Now I'm not a fan of sea-food, and there are only a few selected types of fish that I eat when they're cooked a certain way (deep-fried), but the Fried Hamour was one of the best fish dish I ever tasted. The Shish Kofta wasn't bad either, and it came with fries and two puri breads. For dessert, I went for the 'Watermelon Fantasy' - little scoops of watermelon drizzled with strawberry sauce. All in all, it was a very enjoyable meal even though the interiors and furniture weren't the best.
Price: Shish Kofta AED 16, Fried Hamour AED 15, Watermelon Fantasy AED 10
Available at: Golden Fork outlets on Hamdan Street, Khalifa Street and Khalidiyah Street.
Worth the money? An emphatic yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment