Saturday, November 1, 2008

From My Mom's Kitchen

Although I enjoy eating out, nothing compares to food prepared by mom, and I'll probably be featuring some of her meals from time to time. Today's featured item is mom's 'Sheek kebab' (as called by Bengalis), popularly known as 'Bihari kebab' in India and Pakistan. What makes this kebab different is, instead of using meat chunks or mincing the meat to make kebab patties or rolls, strips of beef are marinated overnight and skewered. The end result is soft lumps of kebab that literally fall off the skewers. Although Biharis are credited for this creation, many Bengalis say it is their own recipe popularised in the rest of the sub-continent by migrating Biharis, which might also explain the two different names for the same kebab. Anyway, I'd rather not get into the politics of food. All I know is, this is one form of meat I love!


No comments:

Post a Comment